Some of you might remember a while back when I went on my first blind/speed-date. It was part of a collaboration between Glamour magazine and Skype. The whole thing was recorded via Skype cam and posted on Glamour.com so people could vote on which of the three bachelors should go on a real-life date.
If you missed it, you can CLICK HERE for footage of the blind date.
In preparation for the date, Glamour editors suggested that all bachelors come up with a bunch of off the wall questions. The point was to make your 20 minutes of face time exciting and different. Basically, they wanted to avoid asking the cliché what-do-you-do-for-fun or what’s-you-favorite-color questions.
Needless to say there were a few technical difficulties with the Internet connection and things fell behind schedule so my 20 minutes got cut down to about seven. At that fast pace, Erin the bachelorette, who was actually a Glamour.com relationship blogger, steered much of the conversation and most of the questions I drafted got thrown out the window.
Well, I was cleaning out my BlackBerry the other day and came across my list of blind date questions. Some of them are funny, some are thoughtful and others are just plain weird (i.e. No. 1), but, hey, they’d probably all get a conversation started—I hope.
Since I never got to use them I figured I’d run them past y’all for some feedback and future blind date conversation fodder. So without further ado, here are…
NWSO’s Random Blind Date Questions
1. Apple juice or orange juice?
2. When was your last vacation and where did you go?
3. What’s your favorite place in the world?
4. What do your parents do for a living?
5. Which Sex in the City character are you most like? Why?
6. How many times have you been in love?
7. What’s your longest relationship?
8. Who was your favorite teacher in elementary school?
9. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
10. Have you ever stolen anything?
11. Do you recycle?
12. What’s the longest you’ve ever owned an umbrella for?
13. Who are you going to be for Halloween this year?
14. What hat size are you?
15. Do you own a power drill?
16. High heels or flats?
17. Are you a Mac girl or PC girl?
18. When was the last time you cried?
19. Peanut butter and jelly or milk and cookies?
20. So when’s our next date?
What did you think of the random questions? Do you think they’d make for interesting icebreakers on a blind date? Were any of them corny? Do you think my blind date would have gone better if I had a chance to ask some of these questions? Would you use any of these on a first date? What topics are off limits for you on a first/blind date? What’s the wildest thing someone has said to you on a first date? Have you ever gone on a blind date? If so, was it hard striking up a conversation?
Speak your piece…